Sunday, February 22, 2015

Blog Post 6

 Clip art of people sitting around a table, working on a project.
   After watching the 7 videos for this blog post, I learned many new things about Project Based Learning. All of these videos include a former lab professional, named Anthony Capps, who is now a third grade teacher at Gulf Shores Elementary School. I did not know a whole lot about Project Based Learning, and I was a little intimidated by the thought. Now, after watching the videos, I feel more at ease about PBL. Mr. Capps gave many new ideas and tips to use in the  classroom. I like the idea of scaffolding; which Mr. Capps talked about in Don't Teach Tech - Use It. Scaffolding is where you let a student learn how to use a piece of technology, let them reflect on it, and pair that with something new the next day. I like this idea because you are not really teaching students how to use technology, but allowing them to learn on their own. I will also use the websites iCurio from the iCurio Video, and Discovery Education from the Discovery Education Video. ICurio is a website that allows students to safely search school topics on the internet without any worries of what they could potentially find. This website includes a storage capacity, where students can save what they search for later use. Also, this website helps students practice online organization skills. The next website, Discovery Education, is a great online tool to use in the classroom. This website connects students to videos that they can watch that can help teach children about their subjects of interest. This is also a way to bring experts into the classroom. I learned many new ways to convert PBL into the classroom. I plan to use PBL in my classroom because there is great student, parent, and administrator feedback on this way of teaching. PBL allows students to be excited to learn and that is how everyone should be, when it comes to learning.

1 comment:

  1. Great post! I also felt that PBL was a little bit scary at first, but after watching the videos I really warmed up to the idea. It is just a better way of teaching your students, and I feel that they will enjoy it more than just you standing in front of them talking. I also loved ICurio. The internet can be scary place to just let your students search, but knowing that there is a website they can search without crazy things popping up is great.

    ReplyDelete